Clemson Soccer Teams in Search of National Championships

Savannah N. Miller, Contributor

“I’m very, very proud of this team. We had a bad day at the office. There’s not one result that’s going to define our team or the people I have in my locker room.” Spoken with true class after the Clemson Tigers men’s soccer team was outmatched by the Stanford Cardinal in last year’s National Championship Game, Mike Noonan’s honorable statements epitomize what Clemson’s soccer program is all about. 

Currently excelling in all facets, both the men’s and women’s soccer teams are coming off of highly successful seasons and should experience similar levels of success this year. 

Picked as the favorites to claim the ACC crown in this year’s preseason coaches’ poll, the Clemson men’s soccer team will look to one-up their performance from this past season by returning to the national title game and coming away victorious. 

Despite experiencing ample success in recent years, the Tigers have not won a regular season ACC title since 1998. But given their talent loaded roster, the media and coaches alike expect that streak to end this season.

Although star goalkeeper Andrew Tarbell departed for Major League Soccer (MLS) following last year’s collegiate soccer slate, the Tigers can make up for it with a roster that features several proven scoring threats. 

With senior midfielder Iman Mafi and junior forward Diego Campos in position to step up and fill the empty cleats left behind by the graduating T.J. Casner and Kyle Murphy, last season’s leading goal-scorers for the Tigers, Clemson is in good hands and should definitely be able to make a run at another National Championship appearance.

The Clemson women’s soccer team was outstanding last season, garnering 14 victories and advancing to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. 

With most of their losses occurring in overtime or as a result of penalty kicks, one cannot help but wonder what could have been had Lady Luck

been more favorable toward the Tigers. 

However, this season, there is definitely no question that Clemson is for real and on a mission to earn some trophies. 

Ranked at No. 14 in the preseason NSCAA Coaches Poll, the Tigers, currently coached by Eddie Radwanski, will be led by superstar senior midfielder Catrina Atanda, one of the ACC’s most well-rounded players.

All in all, it should be a special 2016 season for Clemson soccer. With both teams in the national championship hunt, it is an exciting time to be a soccer fan in Tiger Town. 

There are also two experienced head coaches at the helm, so the men’s and women’s teams should definitely live up to the hype and then some this fall. 

With veteran leadership across the board, the rosters are stacked for success. Clemson soccer is known for its winning pedigree, and that pedigree should come to fruition this season. 

Coach Noonan is right; no one game should define a team. Therefore, expect both the men’s and women’s soccer teams to allow their teamwork and

consistency to define them in 2016, as their entire bodies of work will be

what will ultimately characterize them. 

Perhaps national titles are in store but perhaps not. Regardless, Clemson

soccer has arguably never been better, and this fall should be a special one at Riggs Field.