The Stars of Clemson Athletics

Ashley Stout, Contributor

The 2016-2017 athletic year certainly has a rakish allure for the Clemson Tigers, given that many Clemson programs are slated to compete at a high level. Leading the charge for the Tigers in terms of that allure are the three star players serving as the undisputed top talents of their respective teams. 

Quarterback Deshaun Watson, outfielder Seth Beer and forward Jaron Blossomgame are all elite athletes who are in for remarkable seasons this coming year. It is not often that one school boasts three special talents in the three major sports, but this rare array of talent is a major reason why there is so currently so much appeal regarding Clemson athletics.

Watson, the undisputed top player in college football, is coming off of one of the best seasons a sophomore quarterback has ever produced at the collegiate level, leading the 14-win Tigers to one win short of the national title. 

Because of his stellar play, he took home an abundance of conference and national honors this past season. Though Watson is the clear-cut favorite to win the Heisman Trophy this season, taking care of business in the National Championship Game is assuredly a more important goal for the humble field general than winning any hardware, even if it is the Heisman.

While Clemson baseball has produced a bevy of stupendous talent throughout the years, perhaps no one to ever don a Clemson baseball jersey has had as much talent as Seth Beer. 

This past season, the power-hitting slugger became the first freshman to ever win the illustrious Dick Howser Trophy, given to the national player of the year, following an awe-inspiring year at the plate wherein he batted in 70 runs. 

Considering that Beer put together that type of freshman season, after graduating early from high school to boot, the general expectation level for his sophomore season is understandably high.

As for Blossomgame, the versatile forward tested the NBA Draft waters and performed well at the NBA Draft Combine in May, but he then rescinded his name from the draft and opted to return to Clemson for his senior season. 

Although Blossomgame has not necessarily received the same level of national attention that Watson and Beer have, his contributions to the Clemson men’s basketball team are unbelievably diverse and impressive. 

The multi-talented Blossomgame was named First-Team All-ACC last season and also earned recognition as the ACC’s Most Improved Player. A knockdown shooter capable of attacking the basket and playing a tenacious defense, Blossomgame can do it all, and with him back in the fray the Tigers should be expected to compete at a high level on the courtthis season.

“This year, the main thing is just to fine-tune those parts of my game and continue to shoot at a very high level.” Blossomgame, always looking to improve, recently told the media this when discussing what to expect from him this coming season. 

Like Blossomgame, Watson and Beer are both perfectionists when it

comes to their crafts, and together, these three should make the 2016-2017 athletic slate a glowing success for the Clemson Tigers.