Man charged in carjacking, 1 suspect still at large

Luisito Alexander Bonilla-Rodriguez
Courtesy: Oconee County Sheriff’s Office

Luisito Alexander Bonilla-Rodriguez

The Oconee County Sheriff’s Office has filed charges against a Charlotte, NC man as part of its investigation into a carjacking that occurred late Tuesday afternoon near the city of Westminster.

19-year-old Luisito Alexander Bonilla-Rodriguez was booked into the Oconee County Detention Center around 11:54pm after being transported from the Clemson City Police Department.

He has been charged with one count of Carjacking, two counts of Possession of a Weapon during the Commission of a Violent Crime and two counts of Armed Robbery for taking a cellphone from one of the victims and a purse from a second victim.

He is being held at the Detention Center on a combined $90,000 surety bond.

Deputies say they responded to a call on Dec. 6 regarding a reported carjacking near the intersection of Hobson Street and Cornelia Avenue. There had reportedly been a minor accident that occurred before the vehicle was taken.

The Sheriff’s Office issued an alert to surrounding agencies and received word that the stolen Mustang had been located in the city of Clemson at a business near Highway 93 at Highway 76.

They began a search for the two suspects who took off on foot from officers.

Investigators received word that one subject, a Hispanic male later identified as Bonilla-Rodriguez, had been taken into custody.

Officers are still looking for the second suspect, who is believed to be a Caucasian male with short, dark hair and is possibly in his mid-20’s. He was last seen wearing a blue coat and tan pants.

If you have any information on the location of the second suspect or you see someone matching his description, you are asked to call the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office at 864-638-4111.