Richmond cemented as a ‘dynamic attacker’ for Clemson United

Sophomore midfielder Nathan Richmond has cemented himself as a talented playmaker for the Tigers, pictured attempting a shot past a Blue Devil defender in Clemson’s 2-0 shutout over Duke.

The Clemson men’s soccer roster is stacked with talented players, and one name who has been increasingly influential is sophomore midfielder Nathan Richmond.

Richmond has been a standout playmaker and hustler on the team since his introduction in the 2022 season. His ability to control the ball around and through the midfield edge has made him an essential part of the Tigers’ offense, as he has set up countless opportunities for the Tigers (5-2-1) this season.

His footwork and passing through defenders against then-No. 8 Duke Blue Devils helped lead the Tigers to their third shutout of the year. Less than halfway through the season, Richmond has already surpassed his total stats from 2022. The midfielder has two goals and three assists for five points, eight shots on goal and a team-high 19 shots.

Head coach Mike Noonan spoke on Richmond and his performance thus far in the season after the Tigers’ upset over Duke.
“He’s a dynamic attacker,” Noonan said. “He’s a dynamic attacker, and you all are going to see him get better and better and better.”

Richmond, an Atlanta native, trained in the U16 program at Atlanta United’s academy. Following his time there, he attended IMG Academy. During his time in south Florida, he was named the men’s program Player of the Year and earned a ranking as the No. 1 midfielder hailing from Georgia.

He also scored his first career goal in his first career start with the Tigers, netting one against UNC Asheville in a 4-0 shutout win. For the remainder of the season, Richmond was relatively quiet behind Clemson’s starting offense, ending with one goal and two assists for 314 total minutes. In comparison, he has started all eight games thus far and tallied 511 minutes this season.

His true breakout began against South Carolina earlier this month. Richmond led the stat sheet with three shots, one on goal and an assist that created the first goal of the game. Richmond maneuvered the ball through the defense and led the charge that night as the Tigers shut out the Gamecocks 2-0.

Noonan summarized Richmond in his player biography:

“Nathan is one of the most dynamic technical players in the country. He is small in stature but huge in heart, combined with great pedigree and passion for Clemson as (his) Dad Richie played on 1987 Clemson National Championship team.”

Richmond and the Tigers look to continue building on their recent successes as they head to Winston-Salem, North Carolina, to battle No. 14 Wake Forest on Friday at 6 p.m.