Clemson hosts various Domestic Violence Awareness Month events

Clemson News // Courtesy
There are a total of nine events being held during September and October in support of domestic violence.

Clemson University is hosting a number of events this September and October in support of Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

The University kicked off events starting Sept. 13 with a screening of “Athlete A” in Holtzendorff Hall, followed by a luncheon on Sept. 20 at the Greenville Convention Center.

Closing out September, the University offered a “Sip and Paint” opportunity from 8 a.m.-11 a.m. in Sirrine Hall on Sept. 28, offering hot coffee and a chance to paint your ring fingernail purple in support of survivors of domestic violence.

Another opportunity to participate in the “Sip and Paint” is available on Oct. 19 on Cooper Library’s third floor. Students also have an option at this event to share what they believe is the number one thing they can do to help eradicate domestic violence in their community.

Coming up in October, the University’s Counseling and Psychological Services is holding a “Rooted in Community” event from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on Oct. 5 on Library Bridge and on Oct. 12 outside of McCabe Hall.

“I’m glad Clemson is holding so many events to raise awareness about domestic violence. It feels like such an overlooked issue in the age range of college students,” Emma Klein, a freshman psychology major, said.

On Oct. 23 at 5 p.m., Interpersonal Violence Response and the Clemson Police Department are hosting a self-defense class to educate community members on safety tips, strategies for defense and signs to identify domestic violence.

“I think it’s important we have these resources for students. Domestic Violence Awareness Month is very important, and I’m glad the University is providing so many opportunities to get educated and involved,” Kristen Gregory, a sophomore general engineering major, said. “Resources like this are beneficial to students to help themselves or their peers in domestic crises. It helps them identify behaviors and teaches them what to look for.”

Entering into the final week of domestic violence awareness month, the Office of Access and Equity is hosting a “Soup and Substance” event on Oct. 25 in the David Peebles Room from noon to 1 p.m., providing an informational session on understanding and supporting survivors of domestic violence.

Students are encouraged by the University and the organizations hosting these events to attend and become involved to help stop domestic violence and recognize the signs.

Closing out the month, the Swift Society is hosting a tabling event, ERAdicate DV, on the North Green on Oct. 27 from noon to 3 p.m.

View Comments (1)