I have only good things to say about ‘Only Murders in the Building’

Hulu // Courtesy
New episodes of “Only Murders in the Building” are released on Tuesdays on Hulu.

Quirky and delightful are not adjectives typically used to describe a crime show, especially one with murder in the name, but “Only Murders in the Building” is carving out a style that is its own as it enters its third season.

The show, created by Steve Martin and John Hoffman, places a Pinterest-board-worthy aesthetic — quintessential autumn New York, a cosmopolitan apartment building, perfectly placed fashion — in a world of gruesome true crime puzzling. The show is a dream of cinematography.

“Only Murders in the Building” is also a storytelling master class. It effortlessly weaves together storylines in the past and present, allowing them to converge when necessary as viewers watch all of the pieces click together. The mystery is so intricate and well-written that it not only exists in the present day but planted its roots as far back as 50 years.

The show itself feels like a fantasy; true crime fans solving their very own murder mystery, and viewers get to indulge with them. Audiences unwrap the mystery with the characters and are left with their jaw on the floor at some of the twists and turns.

And almost more fascinating than the crime itself is the web of lies the characters unravel about themself and those they care for the most.

We first meet Oliver Putnam and Charles Savage (Martin Short and Steve Martin, respectively). Both have lived in Arconia, the “building” of “Only Murders in the Building,” for over 30 years.

While Putnam is a mischievous New Yorker whose many failed endeavors don’t seem to phase him as much as they should, Savage’s now-obsolete career as a one-hit wonder is still a sore spot for him.

Their dynamic balances the show wonderfully, and their reluctant friend and partner-in-crime-solving adds a more youthful element to the duo. Mabel (Selena Gomez), a cynical 29-year-old, rounds out the show’s main trio.

As they learn to navigate the treacherous waters of amateur crime-solving, they must learn how to trust each other while uncovering incriminating lies about those closest to them. The only question is: will it cost them their lives in the process?

New episodes are released on Tuesdays on Hulu. The finale aired on Tuesday, Oct. 3.