Sullivan: Clemson leads the charge in voting responsibility

Unofficial+election+results+are+in+from+this+years+
Element5 Digital // Unsplash
Unofficial election results are in from this year’s

The heat kicks up a notch as election season comes barreling forward, and many students are unsure where they stand. With polarizing remarks being made across party lines, it might seem nice to take a back seat around election season or in politics generally. However, as comfortable as that might seem, the importance of students’ voices being heard at the ballot box has never been more pressing. Encouraging your friends around campus to vote and discuss issues that matter to them is detrimental to our society.

“Clemson students tend to vote more on average compared to their counterparts in other colleges. 72% of Clemson students voted in 2020, compared with 66% of college students nationwide,” according to the National Study of Learning, Voting and Engagement.

Whirling over topics like education, abortion, gun control and the cost of living, many students around campus discuss and debate these important issues. As monumental events have taken place recently, discussions have stirred as clubs and political groups plan to showcase and support their candidates. So, many students are gearing up in anticipation of election season.

Regardless of your major, age or background, the value of being heard and choosing leaders who represent you can not be overstated. From some students being active in politics to some being less interested, the overall tone seemed to be made up of students eager to be part of the political process.

“I registered to vote as soon as I turned 18, so I definitely feel like it’s important to vote. Additionally, I’ll decide who I vote for based on their overall values and views,” Maddie Bailey, a sophomore political science and economics major, said.

“Being in a position to vote now that I’ve turned 18, I’m looking forward to being able to express my opinions through our nation’s democratic process. Students should also be aware of what their president does whilst in office,” Ben Johnson, a freshman computer science major, said.

Thankfully, the time couldn’t be better for Clemson’s student body to continue engaging in politics in a productive manner. South Carolina being predominantly a swing state means that Clemson’s voting majority may drastically impact elections on the national level.

Educating your classmates about the power of their vote may really turn the tide towards progress in politics.

Josiah Sullivan is a freshman political science major from Austin, Texas. You can reach him at [email protected].