Tutterrow: There’s nothing small about small talk

Brook Cagle // Unsplash
Engaging in small talk is a great way to gain comfortability with speaking to others in stressful situations, and can often lead to meaningful connections.

Small talk seems to be one of the most dreaded daily interactions for many people. For years, people have criticized the seemingly “worthless” and “shallow” value of small talk. However, there is a reason that small talk is so common in everyday life, and we need to stop acting like it is the enemy.

The argument against the use of small talk is that it supposedly yields no actual benefits to either party engaged and is just a waste of time; however, this is not true.

Though not all small talk is guaranteed to lead to a connection or a deeper conversation, there is no way to achieve these things without first engaging in small talk. In order to get to know people, you have to start with the more uncomfortable steps, which include small talk. This means the more you engage in small talk with those around you, the more likely you are to form bonds with them later on down the road.

Engaging in a short “Hey, how are you doing?” in class from time to time can help you build friendships that will not only help you out when you need guidance on assignments or homework in class but can also help you build deeper relationships that will help you out down the road.

Additionally, these short, simple conversations are not things that die out when you leave college. The essential value of small talk only increases as you enter the workforce. Building up the skill of small talk now and losing your jitters when talking to new people will give you a leg up at networking events, career fairs and job interviews. These things help you grow when you are put on the spot and forced to make conversation.

Small talk, whether you like it or not, is a thing that will take place in daily life, especially as you enter workplaces professionally and engage in conversation with co-workers and higher-ups.

This small talk is not something that you should be fearful of or go into the office dreading. In fact, a recent study found that 67% of workers agree that small talk improves employee motivation, and 69% say it improves well-being, according to the Journal Record.

It is actually really interesting to engage in small talk if you take the time to really listen to people and inquire about their answers to simple questions. These conversations can add new excitement to an otherwise boring day and lead to getting to know people better. The kindness that is inherent in otherwise “useless” small talk is not something to shy away from.

Stop spreading the stigma around small talk and instead start inquiring about how people’s days have been and see where it takes you.

Kylie Tutterrow is a sophomore political science major from Spartanburg, South Carolina. You can reach her at [email protected]