Paws up, paws down: Clemson defeats Boise State to stay undefeated

Clemson guard Chase Hunter fights to sink a layup against Boise State on Sunday.

The Clemson men’s basketball team defeated Boise State 85-68 on Sunday. Here are the highs and lows of the game for the Tigers:

Paws up: Clemson gets out to a fast start offensively

In their previous game against Davidson, the Tigers dug themselves into a quick 18-point deficit that they had to battle back from for the remainder of the game.

However, the matchup against Boise State told a different story. Right from the opening tipoff, the Tigers got out fast and refused to slow down, shooting 53% from the field in the first half, along with 57% from 3-point range.

Clemson’s 41 first-half points marked a season-high, which included 10 points from guard Chase Hunter. Chauncey Wiggins got going early as well, adding 7 first-half points off the bench in just nine minutes played.

Paws up: Big contributions off the bench

Right from the start, Boise State’s game plan was clear: stop PJ Hall. Hall drew double teams when he had the ball and was followed when he did not, but this opened up opportunities for everyone else.

Out of the 11 players that touched the court, 10 scored. The bench combined for 27 points, including six by RJ Godfrey, who played a huge role in Sunday’s win. Godfrey was all over the court. On offense, he grabbed four offensive rebounds, leading to some easy putbacks, but the defensive side of the ball was where he really shined, totaling four blocks and another three boards.

Paws down: The Tigers concede 38 first-half points

Despite the fast start on the offensive side of the ball, Clemson allowed Boise State to stay right with them. The Broncos shot 42% from the field and 50% from deep in the first half. The Tigers did not have a way to slow down Chibuzo Agbo, who scored 15 points. No matter who Clemson threw at him on defense, he managed to find his spots to score and drained jumpers in the face of good defense. As long as Agbo was on the court for the Broncos, no Clemson lead felt or remained safe.

Paws up: Chase Hunter and Joseph Girard III take over

The combo of Hunter and Girard was unguardable from start to finish. Hunter started the game off well, draining a deep jump shot, then taking it coast-to-coast and slamming home a dunk the very next possession, which put the entirety of Littlejohn on its feet.

Girard gave the Tigers another option in the first half with the addition of 6 points on two jumpers and a crafty layup. Like the previous games this season, the second half was when the Tigers really turned it on. Just as he did in the second half of the Davidson game, Girard refused to miss a shot, burying jumper after jumper to tally 17 second-half points. He finished with four rebounds and three assists to complement a 23-point performance on 9 of 17 from the field. Hunter also kept his rhythm going in the second half as he scored 14 points to go along with six rebounds and four assists.