Akers: Being busy isn’t a bad thing

Josh Wilson // Clemson University
With access to so many different opportunities to get involved and gain experience, it’s difficult not to take advantage.

Most people have probably, at some point, felt like they’re just too busy. Or, at least, I have. But am I the only one who doesn’t see this as a bad thing?

I can’t recount the number of times I’ve had a friend ask me to hang out, only for them to end up irritated when I explain my schedule is full. Some people have told me that I should make time by ridding myself of certain activities or declining opportunities, but I just don’t agree.

Being a full-time student in college is already time-consuming, but when you add clubs, extracurriculars and jobs to the mix, it’s even more demanding. However, many students manage all of these things all the time.

For most, a big part of the college experience is to create memories, make connections and, well, to keep yourself busy.
With access to so many different opportunities to get involved and gain experience, it’s difficult not to take advantage. Especially considering we may never have the opportunity to do these things again once we leave college.

This semester, I’m taking on 19 credit hours, a new internship and a leadership position with my organization, all while trying to find time for my social life and myself. However, I’m not complaining, and I don’t regret doing all of these things.

Being in my senior year, it’s important that I fulfill all requirements for my major in order to earn my degree, so I don’t mind the extra classes. Although my internship is time-consuming, I know it’s an amazing opportunity, and I love my team and what we do. I also love my organization, and I don’t mind making time for it because it’s an amazing opportunity to gain more experience and make connections.

Even with all of these things, I still manage to find time for relationships in my life and even for myself. It just requires more planning ahead than before.

And yes, this isn’t a lifestyle that’s for everyone, and that’s completely okay. However, I think the stigma behind telling someone “I’m busy” should be eliminated and not always interpreted as a poor excuse to get some alone time.

Sometimes, a person really is just busy, and that isn’t a bad thing. It doesn’t mean they need to drop the activities they enjoy, quit their job or drop out of school. It just means that they are embracing as many opportunities as they can, and time will open up very soon.

Madison Akers is a senior communication major from Easley, South Carolina. You can reach her at [email protected].