Rick Riordan’s ‘Percy Jackson’ takes on the small screen

Children’s media has always been a popular source for movie or television adaptations. The most notable, perhaps, are the “Harry Potter” movies. It has been years since such an influential piece of children’s media was adapted to the silver screen. However, that has recently changed.

Rick Riordan’s series “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” has recently been adapted into a new television series for Disney+. The show’s pilot was released on Dec. 19 after much anticipation from fans of the books. With rising stars like Walker Scobell, Leah Jeffries and Aryan Simhadri, it’s no wonder the show has taken the media by storm.

However, the new show is not the first screen adaptation of the “Percy Jackson” books. In 2010, director Chris Columbus adapted the first “Percy Jackson” book “The Lightning Thief,” as well as its sequel, “Sea of Monsters,” in 2013.

“Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief” stars Logan Lerman and features big names such as Kevin McKidd and Steve Coogan. Despite the movie’s stacked cast, it was not well received, earning 49% on Rotten Tomatoes. Most fans seem to believe the movie was a poor adaptation of the book. Many major plot points were changed or entirely ignored, leaving many fans unhappy.

The new television show is also straying from the books, but many fans appear to be in favor of these changes. This change is a stark contrast to the criticism the film adaptation faced.

One possible explanation for this change of heart could lie with the creators of the show. “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” was created by Riordan and Jonathan E. Steinberg. Riordan is the author of the “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” book series, so it is no wonder fans are more willing to accept these new changes. It seems that while some scenes are different, the show is staying true to its roots, such as accurate character ages, and fans are loving it. The show currently has a rating of 96% on Rotten Tomatoes.