Tigers on Tour: Tigers compete in historic weekend

mk. s // Unsplash

The American Express tournament at PGA West in La Quinta, California, unfolded as a historic event on the PGA Tour from Jan. 18-21. The field included three Clemson alumni: Carson Young, Ben Martin and Jacob Bridgeman, each eager to recover from a missed cut the previous week.

The tournament included a unique challenge, as it is the only event on tour that’s played on three different courses throughout the week. Despite the format, the field collectively posted low scores.

The spotlight this week was stolen by an amateur player, Nick Dunlap, who made history by shooting an impressive -29 to become the first amateur winner on the tour since Phil Mickelson in 1991.

Young had the strongest showing among the Tigers in the field, shooting -21 over the week. A bogey-free final round of 7-under propelled Young to a tie for 17th place on the leaderboard at the end of the tournament.

Martin was in a position to make a run on Sunday, sitting just three shots behind the T-5 and 10 shots behind the leader. Sunday, however, saw a collapse thanks to two double bogeys, which derailed his round, leaving him as one of the few players in the field who shot over par.

Bridgeman had a steady week with scores of 67, 69, 67 and 68. Although it was a less eventful performance, Bridgeman made the cut with a clutch birdie on hole 17 in round three, securing his first-ever cut made on tour. As a rookie, Bridgeman looks to build on this momentum and continue to climb up the leaderboard in future tournaments.

The trio of Young, Martin, and Bridgeman will be back in action next weekend at the Farmers Insurance Open, which is set to take place at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego. They aim to keep this momentum into a field that boasts ten major championship winners and 22 of the top 50 players in the official world golf rankings.

Stay tuned for weekly updates on how these Tigers continue to fare on tour.