Clemson places 6th at Watersound Invitational

Steven Shircliff // Unsplash

The Clemson men’s golf program finished sixth out of 12 schools at the Watersound Invitational at Shark’s Tooth Golf Course in Panama City Beach, Florida, on Feb. 21.

The first two rounds were very successful for the Tigers, who entered the final round in the sole position of second place. They were only three shots behind eventual winner Vanderbilt with 13 holes to go. The back nine hurt Clemson, and after a collective 295 (+13) in the final round, the team had to settle for a sixth-place finish.

Jonathan Nielsen led the way for the Tigers, finishing seventh overall with a 210 (-6) score. Consistency was the key for Nielsen, who earned his third top 10 finish this season while going under par in every round last week. He would also putt in 15 birdies, tied for best in the tournament, and finished the invitational tied for seventh.

Kian Rose followed behind with a 215 (-1) across the three days of play. The performance tied him for a 22nd-place finish, with a second round of 68 (-4) being his best round of the week. Rose’s finish is the best of the season thus far.

Despite a team-best 67 (-5) in round two, Thomas Higgins finished with a 217 (+1) following a tough third round on Wednesday. He tied for a 37th-place finish.

Golfers Alberto Dominguez and Andrew Swanson shot a 218 (+2) and a 225 (+9), respectively. Dominguez finished tied for 37th, while Swanson tied for 62nd place.

Six of the top 20 teams in the country played in last week’s tournament; of those teams, Clemson defeated No. 14 Alabama and No. 17 Mississippi State.

Clemson will be back on the road next week when it plays in the Wake Forest Invitational at Pinehurst No. 2 in Pinehurst, North Carolina, on March 4-5.