Jordon: How to deal with being cyberbullied

There+are+so+many+ways+for+someone+to+spread+negativity+about+someone+else.+
Lia Mark Shamitha // Clemson University
There are so many ways for someone to spread negativity about someone else.

Have you ever been bullied online? When asked, most teenagers who answer this question say yes, whether it’s on TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat, X, formerly known as Twitter, or other online platforms. This sad reality is because there are so many ways for someone to spread negativity about someone else online. 

Now, ask yourself, have I ever bullied anyone online? On the other hand, many people will say no to this question because putting what seems to be a funny comment or joke on someone else’s profile or video seems harmless to them, but does the person on the other side of the screen see it that way? 

Today, cyberbullies can be anyone, and many likely see their negative comments about someone else as just an opinion or a statement that they think is true. At the end of the day, disagreeing with someone is fine because everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, but it gets to a certain point where we must say to ourselves, if we don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything.

Since the early 2000s, many movies and films have come out surrounding the topic of cyberbullying, but now bullying on the internet has sadly become so much easier to do. 

If you are being bullied online, here are some tips and tricks that might help. When someone posts a negative comment on something you put out on the internet, try not to pay attention to it. Instead, think about how when someone takes time out of their day to express so many negative emotions towards something you put online, they are just wasting their own time.

This one person could have commented on anyone else’s post in the world, but they chose yours. They are thinking about you, so at least for me, I take it as a compliment, and you should, too. 

Sometimes, having haters means you made it because you are known to people, even if it seems negative. At the end of the day, hurt people hurt people, and someone’s negative comment might not have anything to do with you and could have everything to do with that person’s insecurities. 

The next time you get bullied on the internet or see someone making negative comments on a post that you have made, remember how much time they are wasting. They took time out of their day, all for you. Remember, someone’s negative comment on you doesn’t dictate what kind of person you are; only your real-life actions can prove that.

Mariah Jordon is a sophomore English major from Dallas, Texas. Mariah can be reached at [email protected].