Tigers land Viktor Lakhin from transfer portal

Head coach Brad Brownell, pictured on the sidelines of the first round of the NCAA Tournament, has been making moves in the transfer portal recently to supplement his depleted frontcourt.

In an effort to secure depth in their frontcourt, the Clemson men’s basketball team recently landed graduate transfer Viktor Lakhin, a center from Cincinnati. If PJ Hall leaves for the draft, Lakhin would have a good shot to start alongside Ian Schieffelin.

Lakhin comes to the Tigers after spending four years at Cincinnati, one of which he redshirted. In his last season for the Bearcats, Lakhin averaged 9.2 points and 6.0 rebounds. As a veteran in the frontcourt, Lakhin started 56 of the 62 games he played in the last two seasons. His most productive season was his redshirt sophomore year, with 11.6 points and a team-leading 7.1 rebounds per game.

The Russia native adds great leadership and a physical paint presence for Clemson, which will prove necessary to replace Hall should he leave for the draft. Clemson head coach Brad Brownell hopes to replicate his team’s dynamic from last year, as he was hopeful for his team’s success from the start of the season.

“I thought we were talented enough to make the Final Four, and you just have to have really good players that get along and play really well. Play really hard together,” Brownell said.

The 6-foot-11 center could be an effective weapon for Clemson basketball. Now that the team’s frontcourt is secure, Clemson will likely focus on bringing in perimeter players who can replace Joseph Girard III. With plenty of time left until the season, the Clemson men’s basketball roster is beginning to take shape and is primed for another deep tournament run.