Women’s golf finishes second in ACC Championship after play halted during final

The+Clemson+womens+golf+team+finished+second+in+the+ACC+Championship%2C+losing+to+Wake+Forest+in+the+final+round+of+match+play.+
Robert Ruggiero // Unsplash
The Clemson women’s golf team finished second in the ACC Championship, losing to Wake Forest in the final round of match play.

The Clemson women’s golf team finished in second place in the ACC Women’s Golf Championship at Porters Neck Country Club in Wilmington, North Carolina. The tournament began last Thursday and concluded on Sunday night.

The Tigers advanced to the ACC Championship final for the second consecutive year, facing the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in the match-play final. However, play was stopped due to the falling darkness on Sunday. As Wake Forest had won the only completed match of the day at that point, the Demon Deacons took home the championship.

From the other four groups that had not finished when play was stopped, Clemson was up in two of their groups, while Wake Forest led the remainder.

The Tigers advanced to the final through phenomenal play in the first two rounds, which were individual. The team was led by Isabella Rawl, who tied for second individually with a 209 (-7). Annabelle Pancake and Sydney Roberts contributed immensely as well, both finishing with a total of 213 (-3) through three rounds.

The team was able to finish second place in the individual rounds, granting them a spot in the semifinal.

The group of five next faced Virginia when the round switched to match play. In the final match play round, Roberts defeated her opponent by one hole, granting the Tigers a 3-2 win in the round to advance to the final.

While Rawl and Chloe Holder were trailing, Pancake and Melena Barrientos were winning against their opponent when play halted against the Demon Deacons. Roberts’ loss to Wake’s Rachel Kuehn, who finished two strokes ahead, was the only registered win for the Demon Deacons.

Head coach Kelley Hester and her squad will now wait to see where the team ends up for the NCAA Regionals, which will begin on May 6.