Men’s golf finishes season placing 10th at ACC championship

Alberto Dominguez
Senior Alberto Dominguez tied for 40th place overall at last weekend’s ACC Championship.

Clemson’s men’s golf finished their season at the ACC Championship at the Charlotte Golf Club this past weekend in North Carolina, placing 10th out of the 12-team league.

The Tigers were unable to pull through into round four for match play as the team finished +16 for the weekend. Falling behind them were Boston College (+21) and Virginia Tech (+34).

Sophomore Thomas Higgins took the top spot for Clemson with a dominating second round, finishing with scores of 74, 65 and 76 for the three days on the par-71 course. Higgins finished tied 23rd for the championship.

Behind Higgins, tied for 30th, was junior Andrew Swanson; Swanson’s best round for the weekend was shooting an even 71 on Friday, followed by a 73 and 75 on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.

Seniors Alberto Dominguez (71-73-77) and Calahan Keever (73-72-76) both tied for 40th to conclude their three rounds. Jonathan Nielsen, despite shooting a 67 to open on Friday, landed at 50th after a round of 74 (+3) on Saturday and 82 (+11) on Sunday.

With rainy and cold conditions on Sunday, the average score across the leaderboard was 74.58 for round three. North Carolina took the championship title, with Florida State, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest splitting second place.

“It was not the week we expected for the team,” Dominguez said in an interview with The Tiger. “We have some great players on the team that want to prove themselves and can do it, we just have to put in the extra work in the off-season.”

Of the tournament’s lineup, just Higgins and Swanson will be returning in the fall.

“They can do it,” Dominguez said of his team. “They are capable and will be ready.”