PRESS RELEASE: Graduating Clemson senior to open first reformer pilates studio in downtown Clemson

Pilates Social Clemson // Provided
Pilates Social Clemson will be located behind Backstreets Pub & Grill, facing 114 Earle, across the street from Itsurwiener.

CLEMSON, S.C. — Paige Comerford, a senior preparing to graduate from Clemson University with honors in the next week, is turning her vision into reality in downtown Clemson. The 21-year-old pre-med student majoring in biological sciences wanted to make reformer Pilates accessible to the campus community after it helped her recover from an illness. Her new business, Pilates Social Clemson, is set to open at 101 McCollum Street in Clemson this August.

“I was always an avid runner who ran multiple miles a day. But, after receiving an unexpected diagnosis of a rare neurological condition my sophomore year, I could no longer endure the high-impact workouts. The low-impact but high-intensity exercise of reformer Pilates has helped me rebuild muscle and improve my health,” Comerford, an aspiring physician, said.

“When I couldn’t find reformer Pilates close to campus, I became passionate about starting a studio of my own downtown. Bringing Pilates Social Clemson to the community I love so much brings me great joy. I hope it can also help others in their journey to health and wellness,” she continued.

The company’s logo was carefully designed to include a butterfly as part of the brand in honor of Paige’s childhood friend, Mya Lin Terry. Mya earned her wings after a brave fight with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and Secondary Acute Myeloid Leukemia when the girls were in fifth grade.

Mya inspires Pilates Social Clemson to always make purpose a part of its passion. As such, Pilates Social Clemson will donate a portion of its profits to charity.

“We believe in a greater purpose here on Earth, and we look forward to making an impact with health, wellness, and much-needed medical research,” Comerford added.

Pilates Social Clemson takes the classic method of exercise created by Joseph Pilates in the 1930s, focusing on control and precise muscle movements, and evolves into a contemporary, modern workout style on state-of-the-art, reformer Pilates machines.

Pilates Social Clemson will embrace all sides of the person in its classes: mind, body and soul. By incorporating “social” elements into the studio, they will refresh the mind and lift the spirit.

Pilates Social Clemson is hiring a variety of positions, including two assistant managers and multiple instructors. To apply or get more information about the available reformer Pilates classes and packages, go to pilatessocialclemson.com, which will go live shortly.

Limited memberships will be available and will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis. Pilates Social Clemson can also be found on Instagram at @pilatessocialclemson.

View Comments (4)