PRESS RELEASE: The Blood Connection comes to Death Valley

The Blood Connection will be at Death Valley from noon-5 p.m. today taking donations.
CU Blood Bowl // Courtesy

CLEMSON — The Blood Connection and Clemson Athletics are bringing a unique opportunity to blood donors in the Upstate. Blood donors at the blood drive with Clemson Athletics on Saturday, Feb. 10, will not only have the opportunity to donate blood while overlooking the football field but will also have the ultimate fan experience at Death Valley the following Sunday, Feb. 18, with an exclusive VIP stadium tour.

Community members, blood donors and Clemson fans are invited to come out to Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Feb. 10, noon-5 p.m., for a blood drive in the WestZone Club hospitality suite at Death Valley. The experience includes access to Death Valley, a chance to run down the hill, locker room access, professional photos on the field and much more!

“TBC is grateful for the support of the Clemson community and their partnership with Clemson Athletics. Donors at Clemson University contributed over 4,500 units to TBC’s blood supply in the fall, potentially saving over 12,000 lives. As the exclusive provider of blood products for all hospitals in the Upstate, donations given at a Clemson location directly impact the neighbors in their community,” Delisa English, president and CEO for The Blood Connection, said.

Every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs a blood transfusion while only 3% of the eligible population donates. Around 4.5 million Americans will be impacted by a blood donation every year. Surgery patients, accident victims, patients with cancer and newborn babies all rely on the local blood supply. Although TBC is responsible for keeping the blood supply stable, it cannot replicate blood; it must be donated. TBC urges the community to donate blood to ensure that hospitals’ needs are uninterrupted.

Donating with TBC encourages neighbors to share life, strengthening a sense of community. Donors can make an appointment at thebloodconnection.org/clemsonathletics. Appointments are strongly encouraged, but walk-ins are welcome. As a thank you, donors will receive an exclusive stadium tour (held at Death Valley on Sunday, Feb. 18) and a Clemson sweatshirt while supplies last.