Get your money’s worth: Using your free services

Fike+Gym
Maggie Bell, Senior Photographer
Fike Gym offers a variety of exercise options for students.

The first year of college can be an intimidating experience for many students. There is so much to learn and experience for the first time. But, there is one thing that all students know coming into school: it’s expensive.

Everything from tuition to books to dorm supplies to Paw Points adds up quickly to cost students a pretty penny.

The broke college student stereotype is a common reality for many of us, so it’s important to keep an eye out for free services and supplies that the University provides for students.

Clemson offers many helpful programs that provide students with free tutoring and assistance in classes.  

For example, the Communication Center in the Watt Family Innovation Center is sure to help you improve your public speaking skills for free. You can work one-on-one with tutors, either online or in person. Just book an appointment!

The Academic Success Center offers many helpful resources like tutoring and academic coaching, success strategy workshops, peer learning support and peer-assisted learning sessions.

The Center for Career and Professional Development offers numerous resources, including career assessments, mock interviews, career fairs, a career closet, resume reviews and many other services free of charge!

The University also provides subscriptions to many helpful and enjoyable online tools.

Grammarly is a software that provides grammar suggestions for students and can assist them in proofreading everything from emails to essays.

The New York Times subscription helps students stay up to date on real-world events, as well as provides access to New York Times games like Wordle. Also, for fun new recipes, check out their cooking page!

Adobe Creative Cloud and Office 365 subscriptions give students access to many different apps, from Adobe Lightroom — which allows students to do high-level photo editing — and PowerPoint for creating captivating presentations.

Clemson students also have access to TigerFlix, a streaming service that offers movies and shows of all kinds and is free for Tigers!

If you’re looking for a way to have some fun and ignite your creativity, the Adobe Studio & Makerspace, located on the fifth floor of Cooper Library, allows students to create fun and functional products free of charge. This studio gives students access to sticker and T-shirt printers, laser cutters, 3D printers and many other useful tools.

The Barnes Center often hosts many fun events for students that allow safe, free fellowship right on campus! Other organizations often host free events for students, so keep an eye out for these opportunities on TigerQuest and across social media.

If you’re looking to blow off some steam or just get some exercise, the University has two on-campus gyms — Fike Recreation Center and Douthit Hills Fitness Center — with many fun facilities and programs for students to enjoy!

At Fike Recreation Center, enjoy an array of cardio machines, weight machines and free weights. Additionally, students here have access to a swimming pool, racquetball courts and a track for running or walking. And for even more adventurous Tigers, there is also a rock climbing wall in Fike.

To see the fitness classes offered and any other events, check out the campus recreation facility schedule.

Make sure to check out these deals because they are here to benefit us! What do you have to lose?