Clemson men’s soccer defeats Maryland

Aralynn Minnick, Contributor

A clemson men’s soccer player faces off against a North Carolina defender.

Clemson men’s soccer defeated Maryland 2-1 on Saturday in its final home match of the spring season.  

The Tigers’ starting lineup featured some familiar faces, including Enrique Montana, Ousmane Sylla and Hamady Diop. However, new faces, like freshman midfielder Tristan Deloach and freshman defender Adam Lundegard, joined the starting lineup on Saturday.  

Enduring cold temperatures and blustering wind, the Tigers came out with a fighting spirit against the Terrapins.  

Maryland came out to a quick start, moving the ball downfield and waiting for an opening, when the forward for the Terrapins, Hunter George, buried the ball into the goal.  

Rebounding for the Tigers was midfielder Ousmane Sylla, who seemed to have control of the ball when he was fouled within the penalty box. The Tigers were awarded a penalty kick, when Clemson defender Hamady Diop kicked the ball into the goal to level the score, 1-1. 

After tying the game, Sylla passed the ball to Tim Ströbeck. Ströbeck then went for a header that Maryland saved.  

Still tied at 1-1, nearing the final stages of the first half, the Terrapins were fouled in the penalty box. Joe  Suchecki, a midfielder for the Terrapins, attempted the penalty kick in the lower right corner of the goal, when Tigers goalie Trevor Manion made a diving save.  

Shortly after, Maryland was fouled again, this time outside the penalty box. Striker for the Terrapins, Kyle Brown, attempted the free-kick down the center of the goal, but again Manion made an incredible save for the Tigers.  

After two excellent saves by Manion to conclude the first half, the Tigers looked for opportunities to lead in the second half.  

Striker for the Tigers, Tim Ströbeck, looked to be on the attack from the early stages of the second half, attempting a goal that was blocked by Maryland.  

The offensive mentality was continued when midfielder for the Tigers, Brandon Parrish, received a pass from Titus Sandy Jr. and saw an opening in the Maryland defense. Parrish looked to capitalize on the opening, but narrowly missed the goal for the Tigers. 

Shortly after, Enrique Montana saw an opportunity, swiftly moving the ball away from Terrapin defenders, attempting a goal that was ultimately blocked. However, this blocked attempt set up an opening for striker Tim Ströbeck. Ströbeck saw the opening and made an unassisted goal, which gave the Tigers the lead, 2-1. 

Even with a 2-1 lead for the Tigers, Maryland still looked to level the score in the latter stages of the game. Maryland striker Hunter George missed a free kick. Soon thereafter, Maryland’s Chris Rindov narrowly missed a header that would have leveled the score.  

With excellent saves from goalie Trevor Manion and great passes on the field, the Tigers clinched the victory over the Terrapins, 2-1. 

The Tigers will continue their spring schedule on April 2, where they will play at Virginia Tech.