Clemson men’s lacrosse shifts focus towards second half of season

Matt Mynes, Contributor

Two Clemson men’s lacrosse players fist bump each other in a game versus West Virginia in 2022.

Clemson men’s club lacrosse team boasts an unblemished record both in and out of conference this season, defeating West Virginia, NC State, Tennessee, Auburn, Texas A&M, University of Georgia and Georgia Tech. The victories over No. 13 Georgia and No. 3 Georgia Tech were especially remarkable as the Tigers took to the field missing four starters and still dominated. 

Not only does Clemson have a (7-0) record which leads the Atlantic Lacrosse Conference (ALC), they have also scored 112 goals. With the success this season, the team now looks toward the second half of the season. 

This weekend, Clemson takes on (3-0) Arizona State University on Friday and (1-1) Grand Canyon University on Saturday. Arizona State is currently atop the Southwestern Lacrosse Conference. 

The Sun Devils’ defense may create a challenge for the Tigers as they have allowed just 11 goals this season. Arizona State’s stingy defense may present a challenge to the Tigers, so Clemson’s top-scoring attackman, Garret Brennan, who is averaging more than five points per game, will play a pivotal role in the team’s offensive success.  

The following weekend, the Tigers travel to Lynchburg, Virginia to take on Liberty and Indiana. Liberty, which is (3-0), currently stands at the top of the ALC North division and has scored 41 goals this season.  

Clemson’s defenders, led by juniors Matthew Demme and Will Hurley plus senior Hackett Cummins, have recovered 45 combined groundballs this year, which provides a solid wall before reaching senior goalie Daniel Laible. Laible, who has played in all seven games, boasts a 59.6% save percentage.  

Next on the Tigers’ schedule are East Carolina University (1-2) and Virginia Tech (4-1). While Virginia Tech is right behind Clemson in the ALC South Division and has similar stats as far as average points per game and goals allowed, the Tigers can shut the Hokies down.  

The ECU Pirates currently hold a losing record, scoring fewer goals all season than Clemson’s Brennan has scored alone. The Tigers offense should be able to hold down the fort. 

In true rivalry fashion, Clemson rounds out the regular season with a home game against the University of South Carolina. The Gamecocks, who are currently (3-2), defeated Virginia Tech, arguably the Tigers’ most formidable opponent, earlier this season. The rivalry matchup between the two will take place on Thursday, April 14.  

The Tigers have their sights set on the MCLA Championship tournament, set to take place in Texas this May.  

“There’s no doubt I’ll miss it and the players and our coaches, but I’m good where I am,” said Clemson head coach Buff Grubb, who is retiring after this season. “I wouldn’t be surprised if the itch comes back. We will see.” 

With half the season completed, Grubb and his team now look towards the final stretch, with all eyes focused on a championship.