Transfer point guard withdraws Clemson commitment

Matt Mynes, Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson basketball head coach Brad Brownell directs his players from the sideline of Littlejohn Coliseum as the Tigers face off against North Carolina.

Seven days after announcing his commitment to Clemson, former Princeton guard Jaelin Llewellyn has reopened his recruitment, as he announced on Twitter on Tuesday.

The 6-foot-2 combo guard averaged 15.7 points, 4.1 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game and was named to the All-Ivy First Team last season. With his announcement, the Tigers could lose a potential starter.  

“I am still considering Clemson as my home for next year, but due to recent changes, my family and I have decided to reopen my recruitment in order to reconsider the best options,” Llewellyn said. 

The Clemson basketball team now rosters only two guards that have played in a Division I basketball game. Clemson head coach Brad Brownell and the Tigers will likely look back to the transfer portal for additional help.  

The “recent changes” that Llewellyn cited do not directly implicate Clemson’s basketball program as the reason for his quick departure. It should be noted, however, that Clemson assistant coaches Kareem Richardson and Antonio Reynolds Dean left for N.C. State and Georgia, respectively, over the past two weeks.  

Richardson’s farewell leaves Brownell with only one full-time assistant, Dick Bender.