Men’s club lacrosse falls to South Carolina in overtime

Matt Mynes, Asst. Photo Editor

A Clemson lacrosse player sits on Historic Riggs Field while the South Carolina Gamecocks celebrate their 14-13 victory.

Under the bright lights of Historic Riggs Field, the Clemson men’s club lacrosse team fell short to the South Carolina Gamecocks in overtime on Thursday.  

The 14-13 game was a nail-biter for both sides, as the teams traded the lead more than a dozen times. Standout players include junior midfielders Jacob Magelssen, who contributed four goals in the first half, and Coston Pendleton, who tied up the game on three separate occasions, scoring four goals in the second half.

Senior midfielder William Ciccarelli also earned himself a hat trick with three bullets into the back of the Gamecocks’ net. 

The Tigers strived to have consistent upfield movement – junior attackman Will Marrapodi proved especially crucial. Although he did not earn any goals this game, he was involved in almost every play at the top of the field. 

Additionally, Clemson had success on ground balls as the team managed several saves while grappling with Gamecock defenders. Twice, a recovered ground ball led to a swift goal, but as the clock ticked down in the game’s final minutes, the Tigers allowed South Carolina the opportunity to travel back to Columbia, South Carolina with a victory.  

Meanwhile, Clemson freshman goalie Calvin Annulis proved his worth in the circle with several saves, blocking shots from the Gamecocks but ultimately letting in one too many. 

The defense struggled to remain marked up against fast-paced South Carolina, which was constantly cutting routes across the goal and efficient with its offensive plays. 

While the intense in-state rivalry may not have ended as Clemson hoped, the close score and back-and-forth nature of the game exemplified the Tigers’ grit. 

It was a hard-fought battle, ultimately ending in disappointment for Clemson; however, the Tigers can continue their winning season as they travel to the Atlantic Lacrosse Conference Semifinals at Liberty University next weekend.