Can Clemson softball get ahead for the second half of the season?

Aralynn Minnick, Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson outfielder McKenzie Clark displays passionate emotion while playing Virginia Tech in McWhorter Stadium.

The Clemson softball team has won six of its last seven games, including a recent series sweep over North Carolina this past weekend. With the recent stretch of success, Clemson is now 25- 10 with four weeks left in the regular season and has a need to move up in ACC standings.
Despite personal achievements by players, conference shortcomings have cost the Tigers in key moments this season. After four conference matchups, Clemson holds a record of 6-6 ACC-play, good for sixth in the conference.
This conference record can be attributed to difficult competition as Clemson has faced the top contenders in the ACC.
Clemson currently sits at No. 19 in the Division I softball poll for the week of April 3. Clemson was initially ranked as No. 14 in the NCAA by ESPN during preseason.
Clemson’s first conference matchup was against Virginia Tech in early March where the Hokies allowed just three runs to the Tigers for the entire three-game series.
Clemson then managed to upset Duke in game two of the series, but the NCAA No. 10 Blue Devils came out on top in the end, taking two out of the three games.
North Carolina and Louisville are the two teams that Clemson has faced thus far that sit below them in the ACC standings.
The Tigers bested both teams in their series but failed to complete the sweep over Louisville in the final game of the series.
Clemson is set to face Pittsburgh in its next conference matchup. The Panthers currently sit at the bottom of the ACC. The following weekend, the Tigers will host Notre Dame, who sit higher than Clemson in the conference standings, but are out of the current Division I softball rankings.
Clemson’s final two conference opponents will be against No. 3 Florida State and Georgia Tech.
Florida State boasts a .309 total team batting average, with its opponents hitting just a .178 batting average. This will be the first time Clemson has faced the Seminoles since its inauguration.
To close out the regular season, Clemson will host Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech currently sits at a 25-11 record.
Clemson softball has been recognized for being high performing for such a young team with multiple ACC and NCAA team and player of the week recognitions. Yet with tough conference opponents, the Tigers have achieved a .500 record in ACC-play for 2022.
Most of Clemson’s toughest series have been played, however, the Tigers’ games against Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh could put them back up top in the rankings.