Clemson’s top moments of the year

Maggie Bell, Senior Photographer

With Sunday night’s shutout win against Washington, the Clemson Tigers men’s soccer team have joined the 1984 and 1987 teams in securing a national championship title.

1. Isaiah Reid leads men’s soccer to National Championship 

The most notable highlight of this academic year was Clemson men’s soccer winning its third national championship title in school history.
In the Championship game against Washington, Clemson goalkeeper George Marks secured the 2-0 shutout, with forward Isaiah Reid scoring two goals in the first half of the game.
It was because of their stellar performances in the Championship that Reid and Marks were honored with the College Cup’s offensive and defensive MVP awards, respectively. 
2. Football wins seventh consecutive Palmetto Bowl 

The Tigers gracefully secured a blowout victory in their rivalry weekend Palmetto Bowl battle, leaving South Carolina scoreless, 30-0, in the Williams-Brice Stadium.
Led by running back Will Shipley, who had 128 rushing yards and one touchdown, Clemson won its seventh consecutive matchup with the Gamecocks. Clemson leads the rivalry, which dates back to 1896, 72-42-4. 

3. Roje Stona places 10th in world discuss throw

The Clemson men’s track and field thrower broke the school record placing him No. 2 in the NCAA and No. 10 in the world for his 64.98-meter discus throw on April 14 at the Tom Jones Memorial Meet.
This throw beat Stona’s previous personal record of 61.94 meters and titled the Jamaican native as the ACC men’s field performer of the week. 

4. Baseball sweeps South Carolina 

The early March series took place during the Clemson’s 14-win streak, with the concluding game at Clemson’s Doug Kingsmore Stadium. Led by Bryar Hawkins, who was named as the MVP of the series, the Tigers swept the Gamecocks and outscored them 18-6 through the three games.
With an attendance of 6,636 spectators, the final game of the three-game series set an all-time attendance record for Doug Kingsmore Stadium. 

5. K.J. Henry secures win in showdown with Boston College 

With 53 seconds left in the fourth quarter of Clemson football’s game against Boston College, the Tigers led by 6 with the Eagles in scoring range. As Boston College quarterback Dennis Grosel received a snap from his center, the ball went through his hands and on the ground.
Clemson defensive end K.J. Henry was able to recover the fumble at the Clemson 22-yard line. From this play, Clemson ran down the clock to secure its 19-13 homecoming victory. 
6. Valerie Cagle throws 500th career strike out 

In the final game of softball’s mid-April series against Notre Dame, pitcher Valerie Cagle threw her 500th career strike out. In the first game of the series, Cagle earned her 50th career victory in the circle.
Cagle has also recently been named a USA Softball Player of the Year top 25 finalist for the econd straight year. 
7. Gathering at the paw returns in Tigers’ win over Wake Forest

Following a 48-27 Clemson victory over the No. 10 Demon Deacons in the Tigers’ final home game, fans were able to relive the briefly canceled tradition of gathering at the paw.
In the game, Clemson running back Kobe Pace led the offense with 191 rushing yards and two touchdowns. Kicker B.T. Potter contributed to the win as well, recording his sixth 50-yard or longer field goal in his career, the most in Clemson history. 
8. McKenzie Clark hits her farthest home run of career 

Softball’s McKenzie Clark, on top of her 1.000 fielding percentage, has racked up 32 runs thus far in her 2022 season.
On March 26 against Louisville, Clark hit two out of the park home runs to help the Tigers win 8-0. With the victory, Clemson moved to 21-9 on the season.
“That was the farthest hit ball I have ever hit,” Clark said of the second homer after the game.