Clemson alumnus to compete in Masters this weekend

Soheb Zaidi // Unsplash

The Clemson women’s golf team finished sixth in the Moon Golf Invitational on Feb. 21, 2023.

With the 2022 Masters Tournament underway this weekend, one notable Clemson alumnus is scheduled to compete for a green jacket. 

Lucas Glover will be the lone former Tiger competing this year. It will be Glover’s ninth Masters tournament as he hopes to obtain a fifth PGA title.  

The 2005 graduate most recently won the 2021 John Deere Classic, but has yet to capture a green jacket. Glover won the US Open in 2009, making him the only Clemson alumnus to win a major title.  

Although Glover is the sole Clemson representative in Augusta this year, he is not the only Tiger to have competed in the Masters. Here are some of Clemson’s recognizable appearances in past Masters Tournaments.  

Jonathan Byrd 

Byrd was named the 2002 PGA Rookie of the Year after he turned pro in 2000.  

Byrd placed eighth at the 2003 Masters and made a second appearance in 2004. In his eighth-place finish at the 2003 Masters, he shot 74-71-71-72 to put him at even for the tournament. This finish marked him as the highest-placing Tiger ever at the Masters. 

Byrd sports five PGA titles and has the highest career earnings of any Clemson golf alumnus, as he took home $162,000 after the 2003 Masters.   

Kyle Stanley 

In 2019, Kyle Stanley averaged 72 in opening rounds at three different PGA events.  

Stanley finished 58th at the 2018 Masters and 21st in 2019. His 2019 performance ranks third among all Clemson golfers at the Masters, with Lucas Glover taking 20th in 2007 and eighth in 2003.   

Stanley is the second-highest earning Tiger after receiving $107,956 for his 21st-ranked finish in 2019.   

Dillard Pruitt 

Pruitt joined professional golf in 1988 and became the first Tiger to win a PGA title in 1991. While this would be his only PGA title, he would go on to compete in the Masters in 1992.  

He obtained 68 for his lowest 18-hole score in the second round. This record has not been touched by any other Clemson alumni.  

Pruitt also boasts the lowest 72-hole score with 282 (-6), which was achieved in the same 1992 tournament.