New women’s sport launches at Clemson

Caleb Browder, Photographer

Tillman Hall stands tall above Clemson University’s campus.

Clemson students have taken it upon themselves to create a new women’s club sport called ZBall. The sport was launched this spring and the Clemson department of parks, recreation and tourism management is hopeful ZBall will have its first active club team this fall.
The game features elements of team handball, soccer and frisbee.
“Imagine a soccer game with players throwing and catching a ball,” said sports official Scott Arbena, founder of the new sport, in a statement to The Tiger.
The actual ZBall is best described as a hand sized soccer ball. The game is assembled with 10 players: three forwards, three defenders, three full fielders and a goalie. According to Arbena, there are no numbers on jerseys. Instead, each position has a symbol like the sun or moon.
“I’ve been a referee for 25 plus years and felt sports were becoming too rough and too corporate,” said Arbena. “Thus, I was inspired to start a new sport that was safer and had a more “local” feel. With my referee experience I’ve taken the best from each and blended them into what I feel is a fun, unique sport.”

With the help of Clemson students, the first official ZBall team would be formed in the upcoming fall semester. This team would practice on campus or at a local sports park.
Concerning goals and expectations for the new sport’s success, Arbena hopes the new sport can have a long-lasting impact on Clemson’s campus.
“Long term goals are to host youth, HS, college national championships in Clemson & eventually an international Olympics type event here every summer,” he said.
Anyone interested in joining the new sports club should contact Scott Arbena at (864)-207-0597 or email [email protected]. The club is looking for sponsors and donors to kickstart the new team.