Clemson bats come alive in fourth to send Tigers to super regionals

Aralynn Minnick, Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson softball dives into a pile in celebration after the Tigers defeated Louisiana in the Clemson Regional title game to advance to super regionals for the first time in program history.

Clemson softball is headed to super regionals for the first time in program history after the Tigers shut out Louisiana, 8-0, in the Clemson Regional title game on Sunday. 
After getting out to an early 1-0 lead in the first, Clemson’s bats stole the show in the fourth when the Tigers racked up seven runs off six hits and two home runs. Batting second in the inning, Clemson catcher Aby Vieira began the scoring with a solo homer to center field. Third baseman Maddie Moore brought in the team’s next run with a double that sent shortstop Alia Logoleo home.
With three runs on the board, Cammy Pereira extended the Tigers’ lead with her own two-RBI double. Shortly after, Valerie Cagle brought in the team’s last three runs of the inning with a three-RBI homer down the right field line that ultimately forced the run-rule victory. 
“What an emotional day,” head coach John Rittman said. “Couldn’t be more proud of our team with the way they competed all weekend long. Obviously, for such a young program, to be regional champs is very special. It’s just another stepping stone in our growth.”
Clemson finished the game with nine total hits, three of which came from Pereira, who batted 3-for-3 on the day.
Clemson pitcher Millie Thompson also had another strong performance in the circle, pitching the entire five-inning shutout and allowing only one hit. Thompson previously pitched a five-inning no-hitter against UNC Wilmington on Friday.
“We’re getting hot, and I’m so, so proud of our team right now,” Thompson said after the game before receiving an ice bath from her teammates.
With wins over UNC Wilmington, Auburn and Louisiana, the Tigers didn’t allow a single run in the Clemson Regional, outscoring their opponents 18-0 in three games.
In the super regionals, which take place May 26-29, No. 10 seed Clemson will either travel to No. 7 seed Oklahoma State or host North Texas.