Classes shift from Daniel Hall to Humanities Hall  

Karli Jerabek, Courtesy

Chidi Uwazie, a junior financial management major, in front of the Library Bridge detour. 

The construction of the new Humanities Hall, next to Cooper Library, is an obstacle for many students and faculty, due to the closure of part of Library Bridge. However, the disturbances and bridge closure will continue this fall, according to the Clemson’s Facilities Construction Group. 

A major renovation of Daniel Hall will be underway when its classes relocate to the new building by the library. Since the original Daniel Hall is even more centrally located than the expansion, campus should expect a continuation of disruptions when the Daniel Hall renovations begin this fall. 

According to a recent announcement, Humanities Hall will be completed around August 1, 2022. The renovations of Daniel Hall will begin at the start of summer break in May 2022. 

According to Keri Crist-Wagner, student services program coordinator for the Clemson English department, the current plan is for the Humanities Hall to hold the weight of Daniel’s previous course load as renovations take place.  

If any delays occur and Humanities Hall is not ready to hold classes by the start of fall semester as anticipated, faculty will utilize Daniel Hall again, or even Sirrine Hall. 

Students and professors attending and teaching classes in Daniel Hall for the past few semesters have had to cope with all that comes with being so close to a construction site including loud noises and several detours.  

“I can hear all the noises in my class,” said Lauren Byrne, a sophomore genetics major. “You can’t even sit outside the library and get work done because of all the noise.” 

“It’s always loud, banging and knocking nonstop that interferes [with] their learning of American Sign Language during lectures and even during quizzes,” said Bo Clements, American Sign Language section head. “I am a deaf person, and I can even feel it.” 

With the completion of the new Humanities Hall, some hoped the renovations would be less of a problem. However, the renovations beginning this summer are so extensive that the Facilities Construction Group advised faculty to work from home until August. There will be no power or climate control in Daniel Hall or Strode Tower through the duration of summer break. 

Although Clemson students and faculty must face the inconvenience of the construction now, the current aggravations are expected to be well worth it in the future. Humanities Hall will be something to look forward to, and the remainder of construction for Daniel Hall is not too far behind, currently on track to be completed in the fall of 2023. 

Within its 60,000 square feet, the Humanities Hall will house 20 new classrooms along with a 220-seat auditorium and collaborative learning spaces for students. This new building will also include more office spaces for faculty. The space between the new building and Cooper Library will become an outdoor plaza, giving students more options for outdoor study spaces on campus. 

Daniel Hall, originally built in 1969, will see exterior changes to match the modernization of the Humanities Hall, along with new HVAC and fire protection systems, improved accessibility, an update to the original auditorium and repainting of the walls.