Clemson shuts out UNC Wilmington, advances in regional play

Aralynn Minnick, Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson third baseman Maddie Moore runs to second base during the Tigers’ regional matchup vs. UNC Wilmington in McWhorter Stadium on May 20, 2022.

Hosting its first regional in program history, Clemson softball dominated UNC Wilmington on Friday to stay in the winner’s bracket of the four-team Clemson Regional bracket.
Propelled by a six-run first inning and a no-hitter performance by pitcher Millie Thompson, the Tigers ultimately shut out the Seahawks 9-0 in the run-rule victory at McWhorter Stadium.
Batting second in the order, center fielder McKenzie Clark kicked off the scoring with a double to center field that brought home second baseman Cammy Pereira and gave the Tigers a one-run lead. With two outs on the board, Clark then reached home plate three batters later. That score was followed by an Alia Logoleo home run that brought in two runs and helped pave the way for the early six-run lead. 
As a team, Clemson finished the game with eight total hits, three of which came from Clark, who batted 1.000 on the day.
Meanwhile, Thompson led the way in the circle for the Tigers, allowing no hits and throwing four strikeouts through five innings pitched. Friday’s performance was Thompson’s second game this season allowing no hits.
“It felt great,” Thompson said. “I was just happy to be here at home. I had a normal routine today and just felt really good.” 
As for Logoleo, she extended her hot streak at the plate. In the past four games, she has batted .538 and has had eight combined RBIs and four home runs. She finished 1-3 against the Seahawks.
“First of all, it was so great to be at home and have our fan base behind us,” Logoleo said. “That really got us going, got us hype before the first pitch even happened.”
With the victory, the Tigers will play the winner of the Auburn and Louisiana game on Saturday at 1 p.m. in McWhorter Stadium. 
For Clemson, Friday’s performance marks the second time in program history that they had a run-rule victory in the NCAA Tournament. Clemson previously did it last season against Troy before the Tigers ultimately lost to Alabama in the Tuscaloosa Regional.