Clemson softball mercies Florida Gulf Coast in season opener

Aralynn Minnick, Contributor
Clemson softball pitcher Haylee Whitesides pitches in a softball scrimmage on Feb. 5, 2022.

The Tigers won 11-0 in their opening day game on Thursday, Feb. 10 against the Eagles at the FGCU Kickoff Classic in five innings to mercy their opponent. 

Center fielder McKenzie Clark scored the first run during the first inning with help of right fielder Marissa Guimbarda, who hit a single, and a fielding error by the Eagles.  

Second baseman Cammy Pereira then hit a homer out of the park, doubling the score to 2-0 in just the second inning.  

Clark also went on to score again in the third when pitcher Valerie Cagle hit a double. 

Cagle singled to center field with bases loaded, allowing Sam Russ and Carlee Shannon to score in the fourth inning. In the same inning, Clark walked in another run when shortstop Alia Logoleo flew out to deep left field.   

Moving into the fifth, the Eagles’ third pitcher of the game let up the final runs to close out the game. Clark delivered a line drive to left field, allowing Maddie Moore and Aby Viera to run home.  

Cagle followed Clark to the plate to hit out of the park, bringing in Russ, Clark, and herself, back home. With a score of now 11-0, the Eagles substituted in yet another pitcher who was able to close out the top of the fifth for the Eagles.  

Brooke McCubbin relieved Cagle in the bottom of the final inning. She let up no hits nor runs in her brief time in the circle.   

Clark led the team with four total runs and assisted with two RBIs. The Tigers batted a .360 average for the game.  

Cagle, Clemson’s starting pitcher who remained at the circle for four innings, threw 48 strikes of her total 59 pitches. Cagle allowed no runs and only 5 hits. As for batting, she obtained a leading 6 RBI for the game.  

The Eagles threw 117 total pitches for the game and reached just a .263 hitting average. 

Clemson will finish off the FGCU Kickoff Classic facing Kent State, Texas University, Long Island University, and Boston College from Friday, Feb. 11 to Sunday, Feb. 13.