Clemson baseball shuts out Indiana on opening day

Via 2021 Pool

Clemson pitcher Mack Anglin (32) pitches against Louisville on April 30, 2021. 

The Clemson baseball team took care of business on Friday, defeating the Indiana Hoosiers 9-0 on opening day at Doug Kingsmore Stadium.  
Led by Mack Anglin, the Tigers’ pitchers dominated on the mound from the start, holding the Hoosiers to three total hits on the night.
Anglin, who started the game and pitched for five innings, finished with eight strikeouts and gave up no hits. After the game, Clemson head coach Monte Lee said he was impressed by the redshirt sophomore’s performance.
“You couldn’t ask for a better start than [what Anglin] had today,” Lee said. “We needed that kind of start in game one, and he certainly delivered. And again, I thought our bullpen was just phenomenal.”
Sophomore pitcher Ty Olenchuk, who replaced Anglin in the sixth inning, was the only Clemson pitcher who gave up hits, with the three others throwing no-hitters. Freshman Billy Barlow and sophomore Alex Edmondson were the two relievers after Anglin and Olenchuk.
Meanwhile, the Tigers’ hitting gave Indiana trouble early on as Clemson fed on Indiana Pitcher John-Biagio Modugno’s throws. The Tigers scored six runs in the first four innings, all of which came off Modugno, who was pulled in the fourth inning.
Three of the six were scored in the first inning, with outfielder Dylan Brewer, first baseman Caden Grice and designated hitter Cooper Ingle all crossing home plate. In the first inning alone, the Tigers hit five singles. 
After Modugno’s departure from the mound, the Tigers were held scoreless in the fifth and sixth innings but scored a combined three runs in the seventh and eighth innings, ultimately sealing the victory.
Grice, who was Clemson’s top run producer last season, finished the game with a team-high three runs, tying his career-high.
“We’re pretty good when we score first,” Lee said after the game. “We win a lot of games here when we score first, and we did that.” 
Grice led the team in hits, but Clemson infielder Benjamin Blackwell, a first-year graduate transfer from Dayton, hit the lone home run on the night.
On his first at-bat as a Tiger, Blackwell hit the ball over the left-field wall and gave Clemson the early 4-0 lead.
“[Blackwell] is an experienced player,” Lee said. “He’s a really good baseball player, and he had one heck of a day.” 
Blackwell went on to get his second RBI on the night in the fourth inning when Clemson pitcher Jonathan French was able to score after a fielding error by Indiana.
Blackwell also made a double play in the top of the seventh inning when Indiana had bases loaded. The play ended the inning and preserved the shut-out.
After the game, Blackwell said Clemson is a dream school for him and Friday’s crowd was the biggest he’s ever played in front of. 
“It’s a fun environment to be in, fun environment to play in,” he said. “Honestly [I’m] just enjoying every moment. So, I’m happy [the home run] happened the way it did, but I just love being a part of it.”
Ingle also had two RBIs on the night, tying Blackwell’s for the team-high. 
Lee said that despite the 9-0 victory, many of the runs were given to his team, and they will have to be more disciplined when opponents put in their relievers.
Now (1-0), the Tigers have two games remaining in the three-game series with the Hoosiers. The two teams will play on Saturday at 3 p.m. and on Sunday at 1 p.m.