Streeter still sees ‘plenty to clean up’ on offense

Katie Bradham // Senior Photographer

Clemson offensive coordinator Brandon Streeter talks to the team before the Tigers’ game vs. Louisville in Memorial Stadium on Nov. 12, 2022. 

In the matchup against Notre Dame two weeks ago, Clemson heavily struggled to generate any offense. The Tigers recorded season-low offensive numbers, tallying only 281 yards on offense and scoring a slim 14 points. 
In a win against Louisville last Saturday, the Tigers totaled 439 yards of offense and found more success moving the ball.
Even after the bounce-back victory, Clemson offensive coordinator Brandon Streeter still sees areas where his offense can improve.
Against Louisville, Streeter believed the second half left more to be desired. 
“Offensively, there’s definitely plenty to clean up,” Streeter said on Monday. “Too many situations in the second half, maybe that third quarter, we started fast, but then we had four or five possessions where we didn’t get any points. Whether a turnover situation or we just didn’t execute in certain situations that stop drives.”
One component Streeter wants to see improvement is with ball security.
Clemson fumbled four times against Louisville, losing possession on three of them. Running back Will Shipley had two fumbles, while quarterback DJ Uiagalelei and wide receiver Antonio Williams coughed up one apiece. 
“You got to coach up the details of the fundamentals,” Streeter said. “Every situation that happened Saturday is correctable based on fundamentals.”
“DJ took his front hand off the ball, and the guy knocked it out,” Streeter added. “Those are things that we work on every day, but we got to enforce it on game day.” 
In response to the team’s failure to capitalize on numerous drives, Streeter ultimately wants to see his offense score more points.
“Just being able to manufacture more points. That’s the biggest thing,” he said.  “That goes for each position group. Just being accountable for the details of their position.”
“It starts with the coaches,” he continued. “Just making sure we’re holding them accountable.”
Despite the need, he feels for his offense to improve in certain areas. Streeter also noted that he was proud of how his unit responded against the Cardinals following a 14-point outing at Notre Dame. 
“It’s hard to win,” Streeter said. “This was a good team in Louisville that came in here, and we did a good job of taking care of business.”
While Clemson’s offense has certainly made necessary improvements from last season, Streeter still believes the group has much room to grow, and with postseason play approaching, the time for those corrections is now.