Mukuba says Clemson ‘knew who was the better team’ vs. Syracuse

Matt Mynes, Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson safety Andrew Mukuba (1) defends a pass against Georgia Tech in Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Sept. 5, 2022.

Clemson defensive back Andrew Mukuba suffered a dislocated elbow earlier in the season, forcing him to sit out the Louisiana Tech and Wake Forest games. Defensive coordinator Wes Goodwin had to turn to younger, more inexperienced players to fill the void of his absence. However, Mukuba is back in action and a versatile figure in the Clemson secondary.
The 6-foot, 185-pound defensive back remains in an elbow brace and although he had to rehab to get back on the field, he is ready to be back in full form. 
“Obviously it was difficult, but I got through rehab and did everything I needed to do to get back in there,” Mukuba said. 
Although he emphasized he now plays pain free, Mukuba knows the Tigers’ bye week will be critical for him, especially before Clemson go into the final four games of the regular season.
“Yes, this is definitely big for me to recover and regather and get back to work again, but this is really big. Especially during this time, after a game like that, it’s definitely the right time to get a break and look back at things.”
Finishing last week’s game against Syracuse with three total tackles and one pass defended, the former four-star believes his versatility is one of his biggest strengths. 
“I feel like the way I play the game and what I bring to the table, you can put me anywhere,” he said. “I feel like I have the abilities to make plays wherever I’m at.”
Playing in six of eight games this season, Mukuba now has 26 total tackles, one interception and two passes defended. 
The Texas native reiterated much of what was evident in last week’s win, which was Clemson shooting itself in the foot.
“We were beating ourselves and just giving it to them,” Mukuba said. “We had to come back to the sidelines and calm down. Obviously the game was going, emotions high and things like that, but we had to calm down and just adjust and fix a couple things, because we knew who was the better team.”
It will be key going forward that Mukuba and the entire Clemson defensive unit are able to adjust and remain calm as the pressure increases to stay undefeated through the remainder of the regular season.