CU Singers and Cantorei take on opera

Brooks Center // Courtesy

The CU singers performed an array of opera songs including Latin, American gospel and English pieces.

The CU Singers and Cantorei took the stage showcasing a collection of opera choral pieces at their first concert of the year in the Brooks Center for the Performing Arts on Thursday, Oct. 20 at 7:30 p.m. Conducted and led by Anthony Bernarducci, the director of choral and vocal studies and founder of Clemson Cantorei, the ensembles made their performance touchingly come to life. Both sets of musical assortments honor significance within Bernarducci’s life, sharing memories of his grandmother’s love of opera and his time with Cantorei over the past five years.
The CU singers performed an array of opera songs including Italian, American gospel and English pieces accompanied by collaborative pianist, Grace Berardo. This performance aimed to feature many of the 16 vocal majors involved in the Clemson University Choir program and students passionate about singing. Soloists including Ansley Hollingsworth, junior performing arts major, Taryn Turner, sophomore performing arts major, Nikki Rubin, junior performing arts major, Emily Schultz, senior performing arts major and Ashlyn Marie Blakely, junior performing arts major, blew the audience away with their vocal strength and emotion.  
After a brief intermission, the Clemson Cantorei began their fifth-anniversary performance. They performed a 25-minute full set of continuous music with the addition of violinist Leslie Warlick, pianist Grace Berardo, clarinetist Eric Lapin and guitarist Steve Newbrough. This ensemble not only featured solo instrumentalists, but also solo vocalists including Anna Grace Stiltner, sophomore performing arts major, Madison Coli, junior performing arts major, Michael Stebbins, junior economics major and Taryn Turner, sophomore performing arts major. 
The set’s end was met with a standing ovation from the audience and the announcement of a unique piece still to be seen. As a fifth anniversary celebration, Bernarducci welcomed a group of alumni to the stage, joining current members in singing “The Road Home” to remind students that they always have a home in the Brooks Center and the choir program. 
All are welcome and encouraged to attend the upcoming choral events. Tigeroar and TakeNote will be performing a cappella arrangements as a group and individually on Friday, Nov. 11 at 7:30 p.m., CU Men’s and Women’s Choirs will be performing a range of music, including contemporary and classical music, Thursday, Nov. 17 at 7:30 p.m. and Clemson Choirs will present Sounds of the Season, a collection of holiday favorites, on Sunday, Dec. 4 at 4 p.m.