Momentum and fast tempo leading to Clemson’s offensive success

Clemson’s offense has had its ups and downs through six games, but when the Tigers have had momentum on their side, the offense has flourished.
Clemson quarterback DJ Uiagalelei addressed the media on Monday and discussed the importance of having that momentum when the Tigers enter halftime of each game.
“In the last four minutes of the second quarter, going into halftime, that’s where a lot of momentum leads you into the starting of a half,” Uiagalelei said. “You have that momentum in the locker room, and that momentum carries on into the first four minutes of the third quarter.” 
In four of six games to start the year, Clemson has either scored a touchdown or kicked a field goal inside the final minute of the first half, giving the team an extended lead before entering the locker room.
“When you score, everyone is happy,” Uiagalelei said. “Especially when you have a nice two-minute drive or four-minute drive, just going into halftime after you score is definitely a momentum builder coming in and out of halftime.”
That momentum into and out of halftime has led to the Tigers outscoring their opponents by a combined 138-65 in the second half of games this season.
Last year, Clemson scored a total of 155 points in second halves in the 14 combined games.
Uiagalelei attributes the Tigers’ ability to grab momentum before halftime to of a sense of urgency from the offense in the last few minutes. 
“Going fast, guys aren’t thinking,” he said. “They’re just playing fast and reacting. When you’re playing fast, you don’t have as much time to think. You just lean on the work and preparation you put in, and you’re out there just playing fast.”
When the Tigers have played fast heading into halftime, it has tended to lead to positive results in the second half, as the Tigers have scored a touchdown on their opening drive in the third quarter in four out of six games. 
With a tough stretch of games on deck for Uiagalelei and the Tigers, Clemson will need to continue to find ways to get momentum on its side early in the game and play with it from start to finish.