Maybe you should worry, darling

Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures

Pugh in the final scene of Don’t Worry Darling

A month after the film’s release, “Don’t Worry Darling” star Florence Pugh remains one of the few things critics are raving about amidst the twisting narrative and stunning cinematography of Olivia Wilde’s piece.
Pugh’s portrayal of her character Alice’s descent into madness was beautiful and haunting. Her panic was so tangible that audiences felt it right alongside her, and she was able to take the viewer with her into the film’s distorted world.
The cinematography of the film was gorgeous throughout. Captivating shots of the landscape surrounding the Victory community, as well as expertly crafted sets and costuming, blended seamlessly to create the 1950s suburbia aesthetic.
However, the film’s beauty was unable to make up for the undeveloped plot. Many viewers were confused throughout the movie, because it was not until the final third of its runtime that the key element of the plot was introduced. Although the movie provided small hints as to what was happening throughout, it was not enough. These “clues” only served to disorient viewers further, but not in a way that played into the film’s psychological thriller genre. In fact, many audience members did not leave the theater scared, but simply confused.
To the surprise of many viewers, Kiki Layne’s character Margaret, a good friend of many other characters and a key catalyst in Alice’s character arc, was given next to no lines or screen time. She was used merely as an agent to move the plot along, when she should have had more of a center stage presence.
Another flaw many viewers noted was Harry Styles’ fluctuating accent. It seemed to change from American to British throughout the movie. Additionally, his lack of experience was only more evident next to his seasoned co-star Pugh. The pair’s chemistry was palpable from the beginning, but Styles fell short in his portrayal of the mundane between his explosive scenes.
Although the ending was an action-packed chase, it left viewers underwhelmed and unsatisfied. The ending’s ambiguous nature failed to answer any of the viewers’ questions, or clear up any of the confusion the audience felt about the movie.
It is worth noting that there was a lot of behind-the-scenes drama between co-stars Styles, Pugh and director Wilde. These problems on set could have contributed to the film’s underdeveloped nature.