Clemson volleyball wins first match in two weeks

Aralynn Minnick, Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson setter Mckenna Slavik prepares to serve against Louisiana Tech in Jervey Gym on Aug. 27, 2022. 

Clemson volleyball made a comeback against the Boston College Eagles on Sunday afternoon, winning the match 3-1 after losing three consecutive matches. The Tigers’ overall record is now 12-10, and with the win, they garnered their third win in the ACC this season.
The match was close throughout, with all of the sets coming down to three points or less. Clemson won the first set 26-24 before Boston College made it even, winning the second set 25-23. The Tigers then won the final two sets, both 25-22.
Clemson outside hitter Mia McGrath had the best game of her young career so far, with 16 kills. The freshman from Deerfield, Illinois, also had a hit percentage of .419, the second-highest on the team, and eight digs. 
Junior right side/outside hitter Camryn Hannah had the highest hit percentage with .450, as well as 13 kills. She has had a total of 294 kills this year, leading the team.  
Meanwhile, Clemson setter McKenna Slavik reached a personal milestone against the Eagles. With 50 assists against Boston College, she reached 3,500 career assists and is now ranked No. 7 in assists in Clemson volleyball history. The senior now has 3,514 total assists in her Clemson career, with eight games left in Clemson’s season.  
Despite earning this ACC win, Clemson still ranks No. 12 in the ACC due to its conference record.
Part of Clemson’s struggles in the ACC is because of the conference’s talent. In fact, three teams, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Georgia Tech, are ranked in the top 10.
Clemson’s next game will be on the road going against NC State on Friday, Oct. 28. NC State has a better conference record at 5-5, but a worse overall record at 11-10. The Wolfpack have lost their past three matches, not having won since playing Syracuse on Oct. 14.
The Tigers will be looking for a little bit of revenge after NC State beat them 3-1 last year in both of the matches they played against each other. In fact, Clemson has not won against NC State since Oct. 26, 2018, when the Tigers defeated the Wolfpack 3-1. None of the current Clemson players were on the team at that time.
Clemson will be on the road until Friday, Nov. 11, when they play division rival Miami at home. That will take place in Jervey Gym at 7 p.m.