Clemson softball building momentum in fall ball exhibition

Aralynn Minnick, Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson outfielder McKenzie Clark displays passionate emotion while playing Virginia Tech in McWhorter Stadium.

The Clemson softball team hosted North Greenville in a fall ball scrimmage last Thursday night, looking to build off its impressive 2022 year and showcase what the Tigers have in store for the upcoming 2023 season. 
Junior standout outfielder McKenzie Clark hit 12 home runs during the 2022 season, and she carried that power into the fall, slugging a home run against North Greenville. 
Clark wasn’t the only player to leave the yard for the Tigers. Redshirt sophomore outfielder Morgan Johnson tallied a home run as well. The round-tripper was a positive sign for Clemson, as Johnson missed the 2022 season due to injury.
For the 2023 season, Clemson signed one freshman to its roster in Marena Knowles, who saw some action during the scrimmage. 
The scrimmage showed that the bats have continued to stay hot for Clemson and that the Tigers’ fieldwork and communication have also continued into this year.
Other notable performances from the game came from pitchers Brooke Mccubbin, Millie Thompson, Regan Spencer and Rachel Gibson, as well as pitcher/infielder Haylee Whitesides and catcher Jojo Hyatt.
Led by head coach John Rittman, Clemson finished its 2022 season 42-17, including a trip to the NCAA Super Regionals.
With Clemson’s success last season, Rittman and the Tigers agreed to a contract extension in July that keeps him with the program through 2027. He was named head coach in the inaugural season in 2020. 
Clemson played another scrimmage on Sunday, Oct. 16, when the Tigers traveled to North Georgia.
Clemson will play again on Friday, Oct. 21, at home against Wingate.