How Clemson volleyball matches up in the ACC

Aralynn Minnick, Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson middle blocker Jacyn Bamis (5) and right side/outside hitter Camryn Hannah (24) block against Louisiana Tech. 

As of this week, Clemson volleyball currently holds a 2-4 conference record, good for No. 9 in the ACC.
With a 2-4 conference record, the team may appear in a rut, but the Tigers are playing proactively, living their “Own Today” mantra and tackling their opponents match by match.
Clemson recorded necessary wins against Notre Dame and Virginia in last week’s matches but also fell to Pittsburgh and Louisville, who hold the No. 2 and No. 1 spots, respectively, in the conference with an undefeated ACC record. 
The upcoming slate is no easy feat either, as for the next six weeks, the Tigers have plenty of conference matches on their schedule.
Clemson head coach Jackie Simpson and her team are already improving from last year’s season, as they are 11-7 overall as of Monday. In 2021, their final record was just 12-18. 
In their next ACC match, the Tigers will take on Duke, which is just 1-5 in the ACC.
Boston College is another team that holds a 1-5 conference record, so if the Tigers stay on their game, it’s likely that they will take the match come Oct. 23, thanks in part to a home-court advantage. 
Big competitions are ahead, such as Florida State (4-2) and Wake Forest (4-2), but it does become easier when it comes to matches against UNC (2-4) and Miami (3-3).  
Like their mantra, the Tigers are taking one match at a time, sizing up to their competition every week in order to tackle each match and continue their program redevelopment.
As a team, the Tigers are averaging 13 kills per set, with a .215 attacking percentage. 
Mia McGrath, a 5-foot-11 outside hitter, has made a name for herself on the court. Helping the Tigers push their record, McGrath has contributed 90 kills on offense and 124 digs on defense so far this season. 
Alongside McGrath, senior setter McKenna Slavik has delivered 600 assists and 135 digs this season alone. The 6-foot-1 starter previously played for the USA Volleyball Collegiate team in 2020 and has shined on the court since her freshman year at Clemson. 
While there’s still plenty of ACC play left on the schedule, Clemson has improved as a team and is not backing down.
Already sitting in the midst of conference rankings, regaining notoriety in such a difficult, high-performing conference is in sight for the Tigers.