Clemson volleyball loses two more conference matches

Aralynn Minnick, Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson opposite Sophie Catalano prepares to serve against Louisiana Tech 

After defeating Boston College on Oct. 23, Clemson volleyball lost back-to-back games this past weekend, first falling to NC State 3-0 last Friday and coming up short 3-1 against North Carolina on Sunday. 
On Friday, NC State dominated the first set, winning 25-12.  Clemson had a resurgence in the second set, leading 10-5 at one point.  However, the Tigers would end up losing that set as well, 25-20.  The third set was dominated by the Wolfpack, just like the first, and they won 25-13. 
In the loss to the Wolfpack, Clemson defensive specialist/libero Devan Taylor had 19 digs, marking her 11th game of the season with at least 15 digs and bringing her season total to 394.
Senior setter Mckenna Slavik also made an impact for the Tigers, recording 27 assists and a season-high two aces against NC State. 
While some Tigers stood out individually, as a team, they had a 0.083 hit percentage — the lowest mark of the season. The Tigers also had 21 errors, one of their highest amounts this season.
Against North Carolina, Clemson came away with a close set victory, winning 25-23.  Then, the Tigers lost the following three sets with scores of 25-17, 25-14 and 25-21.  
In this match, the Tigers did have a better overall hit percentage at 0.175.  Junior right side/outside hitter Camryn Hannah led the team in hit percentage with 0.312 and had 15 kills.
Slavik continued to add to her number of assists with 46 against the Tar Heels, bringing her season total to 826 assists and 3,587 in her career.  She ranks No. 7 in career assists in Clemson’s history and is only 103 away from tying Jenny Yurkanin, who played from 1997 to 1990, for No. 6 all-time.
Overall this season, Clemson has a 12-12 record.  However, the Tigers are 13th in the ACC standings due to their 3-9 conference record. 
In their next match on Friday, they will face Florida State, which comes into the match with a 15-7 overall record and a 7-4 record in the ACC. 
The ACC as a whole is a rather difficult conference. Currently, there are three ranked teams, all of them ranked in the top 10 in the AVCA Coaches poll.
Louisville is currently No. 4, Pittsburgh is No. 7 and Georgia Tech is No. 10 in the country.  Clemson will be facing Georgia Tech in its last home game of the season.