Clemson rugby actively making ‘a bigger name’ for itself

Unsplash

Clemson rugby is set to kick off its 2022 fall season on Sept. 17. 

The Clemson club rugby team has remained undefeated thus far in its season, and the team believes it holds the strength to continue its dominance with inter-squad chemistry and determination. 
After an A and B side double-header that resulted in 71-5 and 40-0 victories on LSU on Sept. 17, sophomore forward Cole Frank believes the Tigers are primed for a big run. 
“Our confidence was definitely high,” Frank said. “As a team, we know our capabilities, and we hold ourselves to a certain standard that allows us to compete and win.” 
Due to it being the season opener for the Tigers, Frank noted that the win would set the attitude for the next match against UGA.
The Tigers, in fact, would deliver, as they won 17-15 on the A side and 35-0 on the B side.
Rugby is one of the most up-and-coming sports for Clemson, and the team feels that the ongoing support within the roster as well as outside from fans has made the sport all the better.
Most notably, the program’s success has directly affected the team’s psyche. 
“The atmosphere of the team is second to none,” Frank said. “We all challenge and compete with each other in the best way possible. We all want the best out of each other so we can make a bigger name for Clemson Rugby. We are truly united under the same goal.” 
While he is in active recovery due to a shoulder injury, the Charleston native is looking forward to working on the logistics of his play on the field.
“I hope to improve on my hand speed when it comes to distributing the ball and being more dynamic and a threat with the ball,” he said.
In December, Frank was nominated for second-team All-Conference of the Southeastern Collegiate Rugby Conference.
Being a club sport, rugby faces a shorter fall season than typical sports but still has multiple matches left on its schedule.
The Tigers will next travel to South Carolina for a rival A and B side match on Oct. 8. Games are live streamed and can be accessed through the team’s Twitter.