Clemson comes away with a draw against No. 4 South Carolina

Aralynn Minnick, Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson forward Caroline Conti runs at Historic Riggs Field in a game against Texas A&M on Aug. 18, 2022.

Taking on the in-state rival No. 4 South Carolina Gamecocks on Thursday night, Clemson women’s soccer came away with a draw in what was a back-and-forth game.
In the 2-2 draw, Clemson forward Maria Manousos scored her first career goal in just under three minutes after forcing a turnover. 
The Tigers were then able to keep control at the beginning of the first half, as Clemson goalkeeper Halle Mackiewicz kept the Gamecocks from scoring.
Still, South Carolina’s Megan Spiehs was able to get one through to the net minutes before the first half concluded.
Sydney Minarik then helped Clemson regain a one-goal lead midway through the second half. 
However, at the 80-minute mark, Catherine Barry scored for South Carolina, making the game a 2-2 tie. 
While both teams scrambled to take shots in the last few minutes of the game, neither team was able to get through to the back of the net successfully.
For Clemson head coach Eddie Radwanski, Thursday’s game was a promising sign of the team’s potential.
“It was good to see the way we showed up tonight,” Radwanski said in a press release. “The kids played phenomenal football at times. I’m proud of their effort and their commitment… It was a great game, it’s a great rivalry and I think each team makes each other better.”
With the draw, the Tigers are now 2-1-2 on the season and 16-11-2 against South Carolina all time.
The Tigers will host Appalachian State at Historic Riggs Field on Sunday at 2 p.m. EDT.
— Information from Clemson Athletics Communications contributed to this report.