Clemson football, volleyball players named to All-ACC Academic Team

Lawton Hilliard, Contributor

Clemson quarterback DJ Uiagalelei warms up before playing South Carolina State in Memorial Stadium.

On Tuesday, Jan. 25, 16 Clemson athletes were named to the 2021 Atlantic Coast Conference All-ACC Academic Team, marking a great academic achievement for Clemson Athletics. Of the 16 Tigers, 12 are football players and four are volleyball players. 
Highlighting the list of football players are quarterback DJ Uiagalelei, linebacker James Skalski, defensive end K.J. Henry, running back Will Shipley and linebacker Trenton Simpson. 
As for Clemson’s volleyball team, junior setter Mckenna Slavik made the academic team for the second time in her career. Additionally, middle blocker Ani Clark, outside hitter Kaylee Martin and middle blocker Ava Pritchard made the list for the first time in their careers.
The 12 selections for football mark the highest number of selections in the program’s history. The previous record was eight players, which occurred in 2017 and 2019. Volleyball also set a program record with its four selections this year. 
To be considered for the All-ACC Academic Team, athletes must have a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) for the most recent semester and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. 
Clemson football and volleyball’s academic success goes beyond the 16 athletes named to the All-ACC Academic Team. 
Clemson football produced a program record of 84 different players with a GPA of 3.0 or better this past fall semester. As a team, Clemson finished the fall semester with a 2.99 GPA. 
Meanwhile, Volleyball finished the semester with a 3.13 GPA. 
All of Clemson’s student-athletes finished the fall semester with a 3.19 GPA, which marks the 7th consecutive semester of a 3.0 GPA or higher. 
These 16 athletes are an example of how to succeed as a student-athlete. As the spring semester continues, more Clemson athletes will have an opportunity to accomplish tremendous feats, both on the field and in the classroom.