Clemson celebrates 50 years of Title IX

Clemson News // Courtesy

In 2022, Clemson celebrated 50 years of Title IX.

Clemson celebrated 50 years of Title IX this past June, and the University has been hosting events throughout the academic year to commemorate the anniversary.
Wednesday’s “Clemson Women Trailblazer Panel” hosted six women who are recognized as pioneers for their accomplishments during their time at Clemson.
Jean McKendry, the director of research development at Clemson, acknowledged that each panelist “marked their paths so that others of us may follow” and asked the women a series of questions regarding the challenges they faced. Among the panelists were Dorothy Ashford and Delores Kimes Barton, two of the first three African American women to graduate from Clemson in 1969.
Patti McAbee, the first woman to be elected to the Clemson University board of trustees, was also among the panelists. McKendry shared that McAbee was the only woman on the 13-member board for her first 18 years on the committee, and she now serves alongside three other women.
She recalled being greeted in meetings by the other members of the board with trivial comments, providing examples such as “I just love that dress on you” and “If you lose another pound, you’ll blow away,” admitting that she even considered leaving the position after only one year.
McAbee attributed her decision to stay in the position to another board member, who reminded her that a man would likely fill the position if she left. She remembers being treated as an equal during this conversation, despite their age and experience differences. McAbee has been a member of the board since 1993.
Susan Hill-Whitson also joined the panel as the first woman to receive a full athletic scholarship from Clemson.
Hill-Whitson joined the tennis team just a year after its establishment and recognized Clemson for its impressive facilities, stating, “We had everything we needed to be successful.” She also included that the women athletes did not interact much with the men athletes.
Amy Smith, the first woman head coach of the gymnastics team, also joined the panel. The addition of Clemson’s gymnastics team was announced in June 2021 and is set to begin in January 2024.