Brownell announces move to become Los Angeles Lakers next head coach

Matt Mines // Photo Dude

Clemson men’s basketball’s long-time head coach Brad Brownell will look to take the Los Angeles Lakers to new heights in the future. 

The Los Angeles Lakers and Brad Brownell have reportedly agreed to a three-year head coaching contract worth $5 million per year with a $2 million signing bonus.

Brownell’s hiring comes after a 23-11 season at Clemson, with a program-best 14-6 record in the ACC. 

“I have loved every moment spent at Clemson University, and I will always be a Tiger,” Brownell said.

Brownell served as the head coach for men’s basketball from 2010-2023 and has achieved a 241-177 record over his career at Clemson. Brownell has also led the Tigers to three NCAA tournament appearances.

When asked about Brownell, forward Lebron James was enthusiastic about his new coach.

“I think Brad is one of the best coaches in the sport,” James said. “He brings a lot of emotion and grit to the court every night.”

“I strongly regret wasting my college years at Kentucky instead of attending Clemson and playing under coach Brownell,” Anthony Davis, the Lakers’ star big man, added.

Many students have complained about Brownell leaving the school, with one anonymous freshman saying, “If Brad is leaving, then I’m leaving.”

Others have asked Clemson to remove the men’s basketball program in its entirety.

Clemson will now begin the search to fill this vacancy, with candidates Phil Jackson and Mike Krzyzewski topping the list.