Paws up, paws down: Clemson vs. Notre Dame

Ashleigh Snyder // Contributor

Clemson forward/center PJ Hall (24) goes up for a layup against Notre Dame in Littlejohn Coliseum on March 4, 2023. 

The Clemson men’s basketball team cruised past the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in an 87-64 win to cap off the regular season. Here are the biggest takeaways from the game:

Paws up: 3-point shooting

The Tigers shot an efficient 44.8% from beyond the arc, making 13 of their 29 3-point attempts. 

The starters for the Clemson team combined for 36 points from the 3-point arc converting on 12 of their 25 attempts. Chase Hunter led the charge going 4 of 8 from deep, alongside Hunter Tyson, who hit four of his own.

Alex Hemenway also converted on his only shot of the game, going 1 of 1 from deep. 

Paws up: Ian Schieffelin’s big game

Forward Ian Schieffelin had a huge game, scoring 16 points on a perfect 7 of 7 from the field and 1 of 2 from the free throw line. 

Schieffelin also had a good game on the glass, grabbing six rebounds, two of which were offensive. The forward for the Tigers also tacked on two assists, as well as two blocks.

Paws up: Block party

Brad Brownell’s team was dominant on the defensive side of the ball, recording seven blocks against the Irish.

PJ Hall led the charge with four blocks, while Schieffelin and Hemenway recorded two and one, respectively. These blocks contributed to a solid defensive game for the Tigers, who held Notre Dame to 64 points and 34.4% shooting from the field. 

Paws up: ACC Tournament seed

With help from Miami defeating Pittsburgh earlier in the day, the win against the Fighting Irish allowed the Tigers to move up to No. 3 in the ACC, securing the two-round bye in the ACC Tournament. 

This bye allows the Tigers to get some rest before the tournament in Greensboro, North Carolina, which could decide their fate for a bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Paws down: Second-half fouls

The Clemson team had a total of 10 fouls in the second half compared to the team from South Bend, Indiana, who only had six second-half fouls. Schieffelin led the Tigers in fouls in the second half with two, while eight other Tigers players had one foul apiece.

Although none of the Clemson players were in foul trouble during the game, these late-game fouls could be problematic in postseason play.