Clemson introduces club cockfighting

SAMANTA BARBA ALCALA // UNSPLASH

Heavyweight champion Steve Spurrier preparing for the ring.

Clemson has reintroduced one of students’ favorite pastimes they didn’t know they had: club cockfighting.
For those unfamiliar with the sport, cockfighting places two gamecocks against each other in a fight. They are outfitted with spurs and placed in an arena to find out who the best bird is. The tournaments are held in the basement of the Edgar A. Brown University Union building.
“I was looking for something to do between binge drinking and my one class,” the senior business major behind the idea said. “Suddenly, it came to me: bloodsports!” The student has chosen to remain anonymous.
But rest assured, the animals are treated well. They are allowed to drink from Cooper Library’s spotless reflection pond and are given names of former great Gamecocks. Steve Spurrier is favored to win this weekend.
This tournament isn’t just for fun and games; any money made goes to a very important cause.
“We’re putting all proceeds towards buying a big ass wrecking ball so we can demolish USC,” a finance major, who is one of the most prolific betters on the sport, said.
While the threat of USC students on the loose sounds dangerous, those involved are confident they will not be able to find their way to a school they couldn’t even get into.