All-around champion Jenna Grossman speaks on staying motivated through success

JENNA GROSSMAN // PROVIDED

Grossman lands a trick on the beam at practice. 

The Tiger sat down with Jenna Grossman, a member of the Clemson club gymnastics team and recent first-place all-around medalist in the National Association of Intercollegiate Gymnastics Clubs championship, to learn more about her passions and experiences on the club team.
Grossman beat out 65 competitors thanks to her near-perfect 9.95 on floor, which was the highest event score from any level, second place on bars and the beam and 9.500 on vault. Her all-around score of 38.65 was the highest recorded. 
Sarah Pepe (SP): What do you think contributed to your successful competition and overall season? 
Jenna Grossman (JG): I’ve been doing gymnastics since I was three, and I’ve been competing in these skills since I was 11, so a big thing for me is really just letting my muscle memory take over. I only practice two times a week as opposed to the 22 hours I used to, so it’s really about maintaining my skills and feeling confident in them for my competitions. When I compete, I’ve found I do my best when I embrace the nerves and just go out and have fun because it helps me let loose and not think too much, so I can just do the skills the way I’ve practiced. 
SP: How do you think your teammates have influenced you and supported you?  
JG: One thing that I love about the Clemson club gymnastics team is how we’re always able to have fun. Before this season, Clemson hadn’t qualified for team finals at nationals in over 10 years, so coming into the club, it was more focused on having a good time which I think creates the kind of environment that makes our team so great. Going into nationals, my teammates had been supporting me at practice and earlier meets which encouraged me and reminded me that I was capable of winning. One of my favorite moments was finishing my floor routine on finals day at nationals and my whole team erupting in cheers and joy around me. The amount of pure joy and support my teammates had for me really made the whole experience so surreal. I’ve been on super supportive teams in the past, but seeing all my friends creating all that noise and cheering for me just reminded me how special the team is here.
SP: How do you think leadership is spread among the club team? 
JG: Being such a close-knit team, I think everyone plays a different role on our team, but I think our seniors and president, in particular, have shown a lot of leadership this year. Olivia Towey, our president, puts so much time and work into making sure everything runs smoothly and all are accounted for, and it definitely doesn’t go unnoticed. The seniors have also been great role models in both club gymnastics and college as a whole and have shown what it means to be a leader. That being said, I do think as a team, we are great at spreading leadership throughout.
SP: How did you prepare for your floor routine?  
JG: Although I’m not much of a dancer, the floor has always been a place where I can let loose and just have fun. I’ve always chosen bouncy, energetic floor music so that I can smile and have a good time. Before my floor routines, I like to get some of my energy out by jumping up and down and shaking my arms before I go out. I’ve also been known to bathe myself in chalk before competing in any event, so that’s also a ritual. The floor is a place where I can just let loose and have fun, and my national’s routine, in particular, was just electric.
SP: What do you think is the most important part of your training that got you ready for nationals? 
JG: Gymnastics is a very intense sport requiring a lot of hours and time, so I think the biggest contributor to my success was all the training I put in. College practice is more about maintaining my skills and keeping my body active. I try to do all my skills every week and start working routines early into the season. I’ve lost skills within weeks before, so I prioritize keeping up with my routines so that when the time comes for competition season and nationals, I’m well prepared.
Interview responses were edited for length and clarity.